Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Boy was it windy today.  A bunch of the guys on the crew got wet riding the mail boat over.  Days like this I really like the 2 1/2 minute drive to work.  

My day was not very eventful, I nailed some wood up onto the house.  Same old, same old as they say.   Kaitlyn on the other hand did have quite an exciting afternoon.  She and Cairn were out in the cemetery behind her studio and she heard someone yelling for help.  She ran over to find the our eldest citizen (he's 92 years old) on the ground with his head slot open from a fall. Kaitlyn called 911 and our local EMT's came in the Islesford Volunteer Fire Department ambulance and put him onto a stretcher and prepared him for the trip to the hospital.  On the mainland this is routine, but out here it requires getting the stretcher onto a lobster boat.  No easy task, and then add winds of 20 mph and gust up to 30 mph and it becomes a tough job.  

Today's events remind me of the very first night Kaitlyn and I had visited LCI.  It was early April and we were at a Corn Dog Party.  One of the kids on the island slipped and broke his collar bone.  Without hesitation or any question one of the lobsterman went right down to his boat and got it off the mooring and brought it to the dock to take the family to the hospital.  I was so impressed at this, that a member of the community without hesitation rowed out in the pitch dark to retrieve their lobster boat, start it up and run it across to the mainland.  

I am continually amazed at how the members of this community on a daily basis work together.  People in this town are constantly helping each other in more ways than I can mention.  It is a real honor to be a part of it.  

Though I must say that since I have been working for the company that I do, I feel that I am missing out on a lot of the regular daily happenings in town.  When I worked for myself I often went into town to get mail or meet the boat where I would run into friends and get some interaction, but now I spend 10 hours at the job site with non-islanders and don't pass through town until after it is dark.  I am grateful for the work, but I am not sure if it is really the job for me while living on this island.  

I miss the freedom I had before.

No comments: